Friday, November 1, 2013

Planning - Master Bathroom Renovation Project

Master Bathroom Renovation Project - Planning
As I mentioned in the previous post, I had planned this renovation for a long time. To begin with, I had a few requirements that I want to meet, and a few limitation under the given budget. Requirements: 1. Do not move or replace the tub. 2. Do not move or replace the cabinet. 3. I want the frameless shower door. 4. I want oil-rubbed bronze colors for the faucets to match with ones in the sink. 5. Water leak and the damages should be fixed. 6. Minimize structural changes. 7. Bathroom must look professionally upgraded. 8. I will not hire a contractor. 9. Make my wife and kids happy.Limitations: 1. Custom shower doors are too expensive. 2. I have no experience in plumbing and tiling. 3. I cannot plan the schedule accurately because of limitation #2. 4. Have to meet the budget (~ $3000).

Know your playground:

I started to measure the dimensions of the work area. I wanted to use some computer tools to keep them handy. Firstly, I tried Google Sketchup. There is a trial period so I wanted to learn and play but I finally gave it up for this project. But Google Sketchup is the one that I really want to use for my next project. I used Autodesk Homestyler. You cannot do real professional work with this software but it was good to visualyze the rough idea. The bathroom is roughly 9x10 feet, and the shower is 3x4 feet. The Whirlpool tub is the regular 5x5 feet.

Fig 2. Rough design of my bathroom using Autodesk Homestyler.


Budget:


My budget for this project is $3000 for the parts and $300 for the tools. I have started a Google Doc spreadsheet to log all the spending for this project as below.


DateProduct namePriceBought fromItem for

"Item for" section is to categorize the spending. I have sorted the spending into 8 different categories with color coding as,


DECORATIONDISCOUNTFRAMINGPLUMBINGSHIPPINGTAXTILETOOL

Later, this will be very useful to break down the spending for each category with the Pivot Table. I'll get back to this when the project is complete.


Duration:

As noted in the Limitation #3 above, I cannot give accurate duration because,

1. I have no experience in this kind of big DIY project, and
2. I only available to work on this project after I come back from my regular job. Type of the house (townhome) is another restriction. I can't work late night - I am not interested in hearing complains from my neighbors. I am probably available to work about 3 hours after work on weekdays and 6-7 hours during weekends. I still have to play with my kids. :-)

So, my "rough estimate+hope" to finish this project is 1 month.

Demolition of the pre-installed tiles: 1 week
Framing and shower pan prep: 2 weeks
Tiling and detail works: 1 week


To be continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment