Sunday, June 8, 2014

Yard trimmer (Homelite Mighty Lite 26e) fuel filter replacement

My trimmer

I bought this small yard trimmer back in 2007 (9 years old!).  This Homelite Mighty Lite 26e trimmer had one issue about 3 years ago.  Rubber fuel tube got cracks so I replaced them.  This time, my trimmer had another issue. It became very difficult to start, and the engine stops right after.  When I tested it without the fuel filter in the fuel tank, it stayed a little longer.  My gut feeling about the main problem was the fuel intake part.

Figure 1. Homelite Mighty Lite 26e yard trimmer (I am holding the old fuel filter)


Buying parts

I went to the nearby Homedepot but it seemed like they no longer carry Homelite products.  My local store did not have the filter itself. Instead, I finally found Ryobi's part with ~$8.  It contains Fuel tube with the filter and the metal string to install. Part from different manufacturer may not fit, but I did not have much choice.

Figure 2. Ryobi's Fuel System Tune-up Kit from Homedepot.

Installation

I took out the old filter and the tube (See figure 4). Since the new filter came with the tightly attached tube, I had to replace them all together.

Figure 3. Old clogged fuel filter (upper) and the new filter (lower)


Figure 4. Taking out the old filter and the tube. 

From the outside to inside the tank, run the metal string through the hole.  Tightly attach the new tube and carefully pull it until you can hold the tube outside the tank.

Figure 5. Installing the new fuel tube using the metal string. 

Once you see a tiny bit of the new tube from outside of the tank, carefully grab it using long nose and slowly pull it to make it fully through the hole. 

Adjust the length of the tube inside the fuel tank. Cut the rubber tube to match the length to the metal attaching tube (give about 1/2 inch more length for flexibility). 

Figure 7 shows the finished trimmer. I was able to start the trimmer and the engine was running in excellent condition.  

Figure 6.  Once you see the new tube from outside the tank, use long nose to pull it out. 

Figure 7. Finished!


No comments:

Post a Comment